Wednesday, 9 October 2013

Letter to Andrea

Hi Andrea,

Following our meeting on Friday I want to let you know of my thoughts regarding the presentation and content of my dissertation.

As I mentioned on Friday, I wish to form my thesis presentation out of the work of other people. I will give contributors portions of the text along with some instructions (page format, colour pallet, what they must include in the design etc.). Once their work is completed I will collate the results, edit them in some way and produce the integrated piece of design U9 requires.

You pointed out that if I do that then the content of the dissertation must reflect this process. Therefore my case studies should be examples of art and design works where other people's contribution is integral and reflected in the work itself.
How are these?
Pugh - Starwarsuncut.com
Daniel Eatock's - participation projects www.eatock.com
Kusama - obliteration room http://interactive.qag.qld.gov.au/looknowseeforever/works/obliteration_room/

This feels different from what I had in mind and as much as I find it an interesting subject, at the moment I don't feel as though I have a point worth making about this phenomenon.

I need help to determine what my conclusion can be. 
So far I have the following structure for the 'new' dissertation
Title: Designers that use other people to produce their work
What part of the work are they responsible for? > who should get the credit? > authorship?
What do the other participants get in return for their contribution?
What are the implication of this for design in the future?

The last question concerns me the most, i feel that if I have a good take on that it can form my conclusion and I will need only to flesh out the rest of the work.

I really appreciate your advice and look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Gilad

1 comment:

  1. I wanted to thank you for this great read!! I definitely enjoying every little bit of it I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you post.
    Dissertation Structure

    ReplyDelete